Over Labor Day Weekend we kicked off Wake Up Call Festival at W Hollywood, where the WET Deck was as full as the rosé glasses, and some of the world’s hottest DJs helped partygoers sweat off their sunscreen.
Whether dancing at the WET Deck or lounging in the Living Room, there was music, vibes and eats anywhere you turned. If you didn’t make it out and need a fresh filling of FOMO, here are five highlights from the weekend.
1. For her headlining set Charli XCX, rocking her finest pink get up, offered up smash hits like “Fancy” and “Boom Clap” as well as bops from her critically acclaimed mixtape Pop 2. Fans were clearly here for it, as the rooftop began vibrating from the sound of feet repeatedly hitting the ground and hands hitting each other. (When Charli tells you to clap hard, you do as you’re told.)
2. Wake Up Call isn’t just about entertainment. Elite SPG members got access to some epic experiences, which sometimes are as awesome as they are educational. Hours before their late-night DJ set, Montreal duo Chromeo gave an intimate DJ Masterclass in the Sound Suite, guiding budding beats heads through the ins and outs of rocking the crowd. Not a member? Join SPG!
3. During an evening set in the Living Room presented by Billboard, fans popping in to enjoy the air conditioning caught a powerhouse performance from rising indie-pop songwriter Ashe, who offered a sonic pick-me-up with her single “Sometimes People Suck,” only to then break hearts with her ballad “Real Love.” She’ll be headlining festivals before long and Wake Up Call attendees can brag about discovering her first.
4. Betty Who and her too-hot-to-handle dancers, wore matching “Who The F*** Is Betty Who?” t-shirts, turning The Loft into a rocking dance party sweating it out to bangers like “High Society,” stopping after every song to show the crowd some love. Judging by the cheers, they loved her right back. Clearly, they all knew who the f*** Betty Who is.
5. Once the festival was over, partygoers didn’t have to stress over surge pricing to get home or about traffic on the 101, as they just had to head down a few floors to their rooms, either to keep the night going or to get some shut-eye.
If you’re bummed you missed all this, we feel you. (There were also ShackBurgers. So you also missed those.) But hey! You have two more chances to make this right: September 21st through the 23rd at W Barcelona with Black Coffee, Robin Schulz and Pete Tong, and on October 4th through the 6th at W Bali, featuring Tove Lo, Gorgon City and Sam Feldt. Passes are available online while supplies last at wakeupcallfest.com. You bring the swimsuits, and we’ll bring the party!